January 23, 2012

Author Interview: Anne Hargrove

Please welcome to A Three Way Tie, Anne Hargrove! The wonderful author of Survival.

Check out her blog here!

When and why did you begin writing?

I didn’t begin writing until I was in college. I never realized until then that it was something I enjoyed. I minored in journalism (majored in Public Relations) and fully intended to pursue that career. However, I was lured away by the pharmaceutical industry and my love for medicine (I had also considered going to medical school—I know, completely different path but, what can I say?). I ended up loving the industry and staying in it for quite awhile until my job as a district sales manager was eliminated due to my company being gobbled up by another firm. When I suddenly found myself unemployed, I decided to pursue my first love, which is, of course, writing.


What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest?

The most difficult part was the beginning (which most readers I am sure will agree)! I knew what I wanted to write (a series, naturally J) and I knew who my characters were. I had so much information about Maddie (the main female) that I found it difficult to get it all down without writing an entire book just on her background! Once I did that (and I am still toying with the idea of revising the first 6 chapters), everything seemed to flow. The easiest part was the writing itself—I get so absorbed in doing it I have to make myself quit. That and writing about the yummy male characters. That’s definitely the best part!


What music do you listen to while you write?

I love music and listen to it all the time except when I write! I know…I’m weird, but I find if I listen to music while I write, I tend to start singing (not good!) and even worse, I start writing out the lyrics. So I have to skip it altogether. But to answer your question, I love all kinds of music from classical, to metal to alternative. Right now, my faves seem to be Adele (I SO hope her vocal chords heal!), Coldplay, Linkin Park and The Decemberists, just to name a few.

What inspires you?

Running! I can work out any scene, issue, conflict, etc. while I am running with my iPod. I put those little babies in my ears, take off and I return home with a plethora of ideas, story/plot lines, scenes, etc.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I LOVE to cook…and eat!


What are your current projects?

I am finalizing the edits on Resurrection, Book 2 of The Guardians of Vesturon. I hope to have it to the formatters in a few days so it can be online by the end of January. I have also started on Book 3, which is currently untitled and I am in the process of conjuring up another series. I am sort of thinking about doing an adult PR series vs the YA genre.


What book are you reading now?

Blood Warrior by H.D. Gordon

Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why?

Vampires. To me they are so much sexier. I am a total Team Bones girl and I was always Team Edward. Jacob drove me batty. Maybe that’s why I prefer vamps. And shifter fans, please don’t hate me for this, but there’s something about wolf breath that just doesn’t sit well with me L!!


Do you have any advice for other writers?
Yeesh… I hate to give advice when I need so much of it! I would say though, if you can afford it, always hire an editor. Beta readers are also great. And don’t let the criticism get to you because it is actually a good thing (when done in the right manner). It can make you a much more polished writer.


SURVIVAL
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

This may be vague because I don’t want to give any spoilers so forgive me if it is. Please check out Survival-- it is a bit of a roller coaster ride as I’ve tried to capture a multitude of elements from sad to funny and everything in between. It ends with a cliffhanger so beware, but I’ve been told by my beta readers (and I wholeheartedly agree with them) that Resurrection puts Survival in the dust! (I hope that was a strong enough teaser J)

No comments:

Post a Comment