April 27, 2012

Author Interview: Renee Pawlish

Please welcome to A Three Way Tie Renee Pawlish!

Renée Pawlish is the award-winning author of the bestselling Nephilim Genesis of Evil, the first in the Nephilim trilogy, the Reed Ferguson mystery series (This Doesn't Happen In The Movies and Reel Estate Rip-off), The Noah Winters YA Adventure series (The Emerald Quest)Take Five, a short story collection, and The Sallie House: Exposing the Beast Within, a nonfiction account of a haunted house investigation.

Ren
ée has been called “a promising new voice to the comic murder/mystery genre” and “a powerful storyteller”. Nephilim Genesis of Evil has been compared to Stephen King and Frank Peretti.

Renée was born in California, but has lived most of her life in Colorado. When she's not hiking, cycling, or chasing ballplayers for autographs, she is writing mysteries, thrillers and horror. She loves to travel and has visited numerous countries around the world. She has also spent many summer days at her parents' cabin in the hills outside of Boulder, which was the inspiration for the setting of Taylor Crossing in her novel Nephilim: Genesis of Evil.

Visit Renée's website http://www.reneepawlish.com or her blog http://tobecomeawriter.com.



When and why did you begin writing? 
I started writing as a kid, then wrote a lot in high school, but it wasn't until I got out of grad school that I started my first novel.  It's not published because, frankly, it wasn't very good.  But I've kept at it and now I have numerous published novels.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? What is the easiest? 
I don't write from an outline so sometimes I can get stuck, where I'm not sure where the story is going.  That's very frustrating.  But when I wrote The Emerald Quest, my new middle-grade novel, I had the story all laid out.  That was fun because I saw where everything was going and it was easy to write.  I wish that happened more often.

What music do you listen to while you write? 
I listen to a variety, depending on the book and the characters.  I love Elvis, Sheryl Crow, Dwight Yoakam and U2 so those play a lot.  I have very eclectic tastes so it varies.

What inspires you? 
That's a tough question as many things do.  I might be watching TV or reading a book and something will pop into my head and I'll think "there's a story there".  I have an idea for a book that came to me while I was in Maui, walking along the beach at night.  Sometimes just a kernel of information will turn into a full-length novel.

Do you have any hidden talents? 
Does being able to get sports autographs count as a talent?
 
What are your current projects?
I just released The Emerald Quest, the first in the Noah Winter adventure series for middle grade/young adults, and I'm taking the third Reed Ferguson mystery to the editor, so I'm in a bit of a lull.  On my plate is the next in the Nephilim trilogy, and the next Noah Winter adventure.

What made you decide on self-publishing?
I went with self-publishing after I kept hearing from agents that they liked Nephilim Genesis of Evil but they didn't think they could market it.  I finally decided to release my own books and it's been a fun journey.  My novels get great reviews and it's very fun and flattering to hear the feedback.


Do you have a professional editor?
Yes, I have two, one for structural content and one for content and grammar.  The biggest mistake I see indie authors make is that they don't get great editing.

Do you edit as you write or wait until your book is finished? 
I edit as I go. Thank goodness for the computer or I'd be lost.


What book are you reading now? 
I'm reading a Richard Benson Bond book right now.
 
Quick: Vampires or Shapeshifter? Why? 
Vampires - I just like them for some odd reason.
 
Do you have any advice for other writers? 
Don't publish too soon.  Too many indie authors fall in love with their work and think it's good/great when it's not.  It takes time to hone your craft and figure out how to tell a compelling story.  Get feedback from impartial parties to see if you've really got something publishable or not.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 
I write in a lot of genres so there is something for everyone.  And please let me know what you think of my books.  I love getting feedback.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I like the advice she gives to new authors, it's very practical!
    Anywho, I found your site through the making connections group on goodreads and now your newest follower! Hope you'll check out my blog as well!!
    -Amanda
    http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    Thanks! I'm sure the author appreciates your feedback on her advice to new authors.

    I checked out your blog and I have to say, it's so cute and informative (dangerous combination). So I decided to become a new follower of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete