June 10, 2011

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Cover Image

Synopsis:

Mackie Doyle is The Replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. He has been raised among us. But he is not one of us. Now, he must face the dark creatures of the slag heaps from which he came and find his rightful place - in our world or theirs.

My  Thoughts:
Oh.

My.

God!

This book is wonderful. It captured me from the word go. Like when I read the first sentence, I was hooked and knew that this book was good. And it was. She showed me a different type of book that I wasn't necessarily prepared for but I understood perfectly and was fascinated by it. And you could tell from the first page that she edited the heck out of this book too. It was practically flawless. And you guys all know that I'm perfectionist (didn't know that until my parents told me so, but whatever) so for me to say that is a big step.
And the characters in this book are awesome. Now, even though I liked Mackie (which is a boy and it took me a few pages to get that he was indeed a boy since the name could flip either way) I thought Tate took the show.

Literally.

Do you know the movie Kick-Ass?

Kick-Ass Poster

I heart this movie. I really do. I will eventually read the comic book, but the movie is great and the music is just pure awesomeness in the movie too. Anyway, main point: The main character in this movie was, of course, Kick-Ass. Since it's told from his point of view and everything, but to me who really stole the show and won my heart over?

Hit Girl.

Same thing in The Replacement. I don't know why Brenna Yovanoff decided to make Mackie the main character, but I think I understand now reflecting back on it since his kind are kind of the controlling force here. I would have loved Tate to be the main character. She totally kicks ass. And I won't give too much away about her since she can speak volumes on her own even though she doesn't really come into play until like halfway, but I still would have liked her to be the main character.

Either way the book rocked.

And sure I had my reservations. I'm a girl. The main character is a boy. How could we relate? We speak two different codes. But that wasn't an issue. Even though half the time he didn't speak his thoughts, I understood him perfectly clear. And I kinda wonder if guys are like that. If they speak like Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.



It's not like Mackie reminded me a lot of Oz, just the way he talked. Like he said a few words but his thoughts were just deep and interesting. I kinda liked that though, it's kinda like if we had Tate as the main character we would have gotten the filter instead of the whole package. Plus, who wouldn't want to see what he was thinking?

Now that I think about it, Mackie did play music. Spoke little. And had deep thoughts. Omg, maybe Oz was the inspiration behind Mackie. Never know. Anyway, moving away from Buffy the Vampire Slayer references, the book was great.

The descriptions were really out there. Not in like a bad sorta thing, but in a supernatural, hey I never thought of it that way, description. She really has a lot of talent in that arena. Plus the way the dudes talked in her book was super realistic. I didn't understand the music references (music fans, if you get the chance, translate for me) but I understood some of it. Mostly the feelings behind the music.

There were some religious references since Mackie's father is a pastor. Which makes this tale even more fascinating. It wasn't offensive to me, since I'm religious and I doubt it would be to other people who are religious. But I just wanted to through that out there so you won't be, "Larissa didn't tell me that! Ugh!" So I'm just telling you right now: There are some religious undertones, and I think she expresses her feelings toward the church through the character. Not saying that she isn't entitled to her own opinions, but it is still there lying right underneath the surface. Which is fine by me but maybe not by you. It's up to you to decide on that.

Um, what else can I tell you about the awesome book? I read it in like a day (even though I was working. You should have saw me like trying to eat this big sandwich with my small hands while trying to peer over it while at the same time read the rest of the book. Fun times.), word choices and descriptions were great, the characters were great. I did get a little bit of the whole monster loves human relationship there like in Twilight sorta feel. Not that I was like, "Ugh, another Twilight rip off." Because it definitely wasn't. It was actually the direct opposite of Twilight.

In Twilight everything is so beautiful and mysterious. In The Replacements, everybody knows what is going on but they aren't willing to do anything about it. And everything is ugly. In a sorta pretty way. I would love to see some of the characters on film. To see how they would describe the setting and the underground setting versus the city of Gentry. It would be flipping awesome.

I know that pretty ugly doesn't make any sense, but Brenna Yovanoff makes it make sense. I don't know how but she does. You just have to read this book.

So final jeopardy question: Would I recommend this book?

YES! Heck ya! It's awesome! Have you not read my review!? Go back and read it! The book is awesome! You could skip the references, but still, the book is great. And don't worry about the ending. It's good too. I double checked. I haven't read like the last two pages yet, but I got over the resolution part and I'm to the 'Everything is a much better place' part. So I'm sure you all will like the ending.

Especially people who like mystery, romance, teen love, and paranormal stuff. Which I love. I can't help it. :P Anyway, love the book, you should read this too if you're into paranormal fantasy type books:

Cover Image

Synopsis:

Calla is the alpha female of a shape-shifting wolf pack. She is destined to marry Ren Laroche, the pack's alpha male. Together, they would rule their pack together, guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But then, Calla saves a beautiful human boy, who captures her heart. Calla begins to question everything - her fate, her existence, and her world and the orders the Keepers have asked her to follow. She will have to make a choice. But will she follow her heart if it means losing everything, including her own life?

Trust me on this: This book is great too. They book remind me of this alternative life style and it kinda draws you out of the real world and makes you look at it in a totally different way. I know I promoted this book already, but I'm putting up here again. Why?

Because it's that great.

And the next book in a series, yeah you read that right series, is coming out soon. I think it's July 26. Here's the cover. Hopefully the final cover because the other one was ugly.

Cover Image

Pretty huh? So yeah, I really can't think of anything else to say. These books are great, read them, love them, and put them on your shelf. Whether it's on a kindle or on a bookshelf doesn't matter to me: They are all great books to lose yourself in.

On another note: I don't know if you guys have noticed, but I haven't been able to put up posts like I normally would have. Why is that? Because I live in a place with no Internet.



Yes, I know!

So I come to the library and post. So just in case you guys, my lovely followers and fellow guests have wondered: I'm not abandoning y'all. I'm just having some Internet issues. I'm probably going to get it fixed by next week. I think. Hopefully. We'll see. But I'll still be here posting. I'll try to post at least like twice a week. If possible. You should see my work schedule next week. It's pretty awesome yet insane at the same time. At least I'll be able to get my self-publishing dreams off the ground and into cyberspace.

Which brings me to another item on my agenda: The Septavalent Stone.

Currently Reading-Book Review Coming Soon!

I know that guys have been seeing Book Review coming soon. Well, it is. I'm like halfway through the book as of right now. But my work schedule is making it doubly difficult to read the book AND post. So I'm going to post less (don't pout, it's to keep my sanity and it's good for you!) and read more so that you guys can get the full splendor and the full book review of this great book so far. So don't worry you guys, I'm trying to do it all. The ultimate juggler.

3 comments:

  1. Yours is the only review that has me sold on The Replacement.
    Great blog as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your review of The Replacement. I read it last fall as an ARC and enjoyed it as well. I also love your reference to Oz from BTVS. And I loved Nightshade as well. Can't wait for Wolfsbane to come out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all for visiting and commenting on my blog! :)

    @Madame Perry's Salon-Awe, I'm glad my review could sell you to read The Replacement. It's an awesome book and I hope you enjoy it. I heart your blog too. I'm now a follower. :)

    @Lisa Mandina-I'm glad you enjoyed my review of The Replacement and the book as well. Lol, I thought maybe the reference to Oz would throw people off but I'm glad you loved it.

    We're both going to rush to the bookstores or to the virtual bookstores to get a copy of Wolfsbane! Hopefully, I'll be able to review it like a couple of days later. Within the first day of release would be great, but I guess we'll see.

    Thanks again for the compliments. :)

    ReplyDelete