July 26, 2013

Autumn by Sierra Dean

Autumn (Dog Days #1)

Cooper Reynolds’s life is going to the dogs… literally.

As if being a high school senior in a small Texas town wasn’t hard enough, Cooper has bigger things to worry about than who he’ll take to prom and whether or not the Poisonfoot Padres will win homecoming. He has less than a year before his eighteenth birthday, when a curse placed on his family will doom him to live in coyote form forever.

The last thing he needs to complicate his already messed-up life is a girl, but fate has other plans in mind for him when it brings Eloise “Lou” Whittaker to Poisonfoot. She’s grouchy, sarcastic and has no love for her new Texas home, but she might be exactly the right person to help Cooper break the curse.

The clock is ticking, and Cooper will have to decide if he’s willing to let Lou in on his dirty little secret before it’s too late.

My Thoughts

Before I begin, I would like to thank NetGalley and Sierra Dean for the free book in exchange for a review.

I have to say from the moment I read this book, I was addicted. I literally couldn't stop reading it. I don't think it was the character this time (even though she was awesome and love her nickname of Lou which fits her perfectly), I think it was the plot.

It was so well written and developed that I literally tore through this book in two days. It was amazing and I'm so glad I read it.

However, I do have a few things to nitpick about this book.

Characters: Like I said, love Lou and Copper. It was interesting to see the whole character unravel in a very interesting way. I love the fact that this author brings a fresh twist to the paranormal realm and to the stereotypical characters.

She takes a jock and makes him unpopular and makes the "perfect" girl with a boy nickname have a flaw. It was nice to see that creativity in an author. 

I think I love her just for that simple fact. 

After reading Culture Shock, I needed something new. Something creative and I have to say Autumn did that in the most interesting way.

Overall, her character development is spot on. Love how she gives a twists to the stereotypical characters. It's just so refreshing.

Dialogue: Quick and witty. No cheesy love lines anywhere. I love the intensity she gave the characters. You knew that something was going on, but you didn't know what or even why. And she didn't tell, she showed!

She let the characters have their voice.

Plot: It kept me on the edge of my seat even when I knew I had to go to bed. I just couldn't. I had to keep reading.

She builds enough tension and mystery to keep you wondering and guessing. I kinda figured out a majority of the plot. Some of it was predicable but I still was curious enough to keep reading. I had some of the puzzle but I didn't have the complete picture. So it kept me reading even though I knew like half of the plot.

Anyway, I still say well developed plot and I loved how she played with the foreshadowing. Great job.

Setting: Love the name Poisonfoot and I absolutely love the fact that the author did her research on Texas. It was clear from the word go that the author knew her setting like the back of her hand. 

I know I keep saying this, but it just amazes me how much refreshingly different this whole story was and how the author incorporated into the plot line.  

Ending: This is where I fell out of love a bit. I'm not loving or feeling the ending. It ended suddenly. Without warning. And with a major twist. But not a twist I haven't seen before. However, it was a good twist that left me speechless.

It was good, but in a, "Dang, I didn't even see THAT coming!" 

So Idk about the ending. I'm on the fence.


Overall: Would I recommend this book?

Heck yes!

The only reason this book does get full five stars is because of a few typos and the ending. However, there IS good news: There's a second book coming in November. 

Cheerleader high five! 

So I would absolutely invite you guys to read the book and enjoy. You will thank me later. :)

1 comment: