July 22, 2013

Hidden by M. Lathan


Sixteen-year-old Leah Grant has given up on being normal. She'd settle for stopping the voices in her head, intrusive visions of the future, and better odds of making it to her seventeenth birthday.

That's the thing about pretending to be human in a world where magic used to exist - at any moment, her cover could be blown and she'll be burned to death like the rest of the witches.

Everything changes when she loses control of her powers and flees the orphanage she grew up in. She desperately wants to be invisible but finds her face plastered on every news channel as humans panic over the possible resurgence of her kind. And now the hunters won't give up until they find her.

Making friends for the first time in her life and falling in love with one of them drives her to discover why she is unlike any being she's ever met - human or otherwise. The dangerous powers inside of her that would repel Nathan, her new, handsome reason for living, are priceless to some. The locked up forever kind of priceless. And to others, they are too dangerous to allow her to live.

Let's hope she can stay hidden.


My Thoughts

My thoughts about this book aren't hidden: I like this book alot. I like the characters, the setting, and the twists and turns of the plot.

I can tell this author did a lot research on bullying and depression. I would so air high five her for that.

You would think this would make me flip out of my seat excited?

Not quite.

Characters: I like the main character Leah/Christine/Celia.

Yes, you read that right, the main character has three different names and switches through them. To give the author credit, she waits for you to get accustomed to name Leah, then tacks on the other two after a while.

So she doesn't slam you with names, but that doesn't include her nickname. 

So confusing much?

Other than that, I like all of the characters. I like the layers she added. I can't really complain (other then the multiple names) about characters. They're well written and developed.

Plot: Hmm, for the most part, the plot has plenty of twists and turns in it to keep me on the edge of my seat. For a while, nothing kinda happened which was okay by me. I was getting to know the character and there was enough going on to keep me from getting bored. 

I think pacing was a bit off near the end. A bit rushed. Or maybe it was just me and I didn't want it to end. 

Well, at least, the way the author ended it anyway. But more on that later.

Setting: I like the setting, but I'm totally blanking out on where it was. I know part of it was Paris, New Orleans, and another setting where it starts but Idk. 

But when she gets to New Orleans, I like she uses the house and kinda builds on plot through it. It's kinda interesting how she does it.

Ending: This is where I want to divorce the author and slap her silly.

I loathe the ending. The romantic end is fine, but the main plot ending sucks. I think she explains why she ended the way she did, but I was still in shock.

After all of that, she ends it like that? Um, no. Don't like it whatsoever.

Overall: Would I recommend this book to someone else?

Probably.

Even though I'm not exactly thrilled with the ending, there's some hope: There is another book in the series.

So maybe she'll change her ending somehow or amend it in the next book. 

Additionally, the author has a great writing style. She had me smiling and laughing at some awkward but cutely awkward moments that were just precious. And her plot and character development were great.

So yeah, I would recommend this book to somebody. I would warn them about the ending a bit, but still. 

Other then, give it a shot and let me know what you think. And quench your need to read. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment