January 6, 2012

Chameleon by Cidney Swanson


Sixteen-year-old Samantha Ruiz has a lot on her mind. The crush who kissed her but changed his mind. The BFF who thinks Sam is in an abusive relationship. The geneticist who wanted Sam dead but now wants her ALIVE. And of course, Sam’s still dealing with a tendency to disappear into thin air.

When Sam learns of her nemesis Helmann’s Nazi-like plan to establish a Thousand-Year Reign, she’s determined to fight him. Along with Will and Mickie, Sam flees to France to meet Sir Walter—their best hope for stopping Helmann’s brave new world.

But Sam isn’t any safer in France. Someone is following her. Someone invisible. Sam will have to figure out how to hide from an enemy she can’t even see.

My Thoughts:

Now, this is the second book in the Rippler series. Check out previous book and reviews here: http://teacherwritebookaholicohmy.blogspot.com/2011/12/rippler-by-cidney-swanson.html

Anyway, lucky or not, I won this book on LibraryThing, so I won both the first and second book of this series.

Normally, I would find this a good thing, but I'm torn about this book.



On the one hand, the mystery continues and the plot seems okay. The characters are the same. The stakes are higher. And the book is overall better in most respects.

But I had a few problems with this book though. So instead of listing each literary element, I'll just stick to the pluses and minuses. So let's give this a whirl.

Positives:

1. Same excellent characters with some new lovable ones tossed in the mix

I have to say, she didn't drastically change the characters and they all have their personality quirks that I loved about them in the first book. So that's great.

Additionally, she added some new characters that are interesting, like Sir Walter. At first, I didn't like him. He seemed like a pompous jerk, but as the story continued on, I learned to trust him and his character. Even Will liked him after a while.


2. Romantic Setting

I love that they traveled to France. I think that's awesome and the way she described it was lovely.


3. More about Rippling and the history behind it

I def love the fact that she described more about rippling and what it entails. We get more concrete information about it from an experienced Rippler and how far their abilities can stretch. So love that.


4. Higher Stakes

She elevates everything to a new level. So I like that.


5. Building of Relationships

I like how she started one way with all the characters and how their relationships build through the series, so that I like a lot. 


Negatives

1. Stereotypical Bad Guy

"I want to rule the world with super humans!" 

That is the bad guy in this story, and I'm kinda tired of seeing this one dimensional enemy. Let's give him some dimensions. Let's give him some depth. 

I just hate the bad guy in her novel. He's so predicable.


2. Will and Sam

I don't think the explanation about why they didn't get together was a good enough reason. I'll leave it at that. 


3. Same mistakes but more of them

Guffaws become more frequent, awkward phrases are still there and too many repeating phrases. I'm surprised somebody else, maybe an editor, friend or beta reader didn't catch this sooner. So that surprises me. 



Overall, would I recommend this book?

I'm not so sure I would. I loved Ripple, but Chameleon? I think with some reworking, I would. But as it stands right now? No. I really couldn't. 

And with that, I bid you good reading!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review and good to know! I like how you detail the positives and negatives so the reader can decide whether or not those things are important to him or her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you made me want to read Ripple. I'll have to check it out and depending how it goes, I might give Chameleon a try too. Thanks for the honest review. I'm a new GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Fall Into Books and Kelly! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    @Fall-No problem! I didn't want to give too much away, so I figured giving out the negatives and positives would be useful.

    @Kelly-Yeah, I loved Rippler. You might want to stick around my blog for a free copy. :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete