November 2, 2011

Considering Self-Publishing?




Then check out these links:

1. http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,29394.2125.html

  •        This is a link to the Kindle Boards which is a wealth of information about self-publishing success and misses. This particular link is to the forum where they discuss the successes of the average everyday self-publisher. You might be surprised about what you see in there. I usually visit this website for encouragement to continue to self -publish and to do some research.
  • This blog is full of insight as to why you should self publish. The only reason why I didn't narrow it down to one specific blog post is because, they are ALL useful. He shows real life people making a go at this business and how to do it yourself. He also busts some myths about self-publishing which had a tremendous effect on me and my consideration of self-publishing. 

  • As part of your self-publishing consideration, you should also consider how much effort you want to put into doing this thing correctly, yes? Then you should consider: Promotion. If you do not have time for promoting your book yourself, then you should hire someone. But some people underestimate all of the effort it takes to get your book off the ground and into people's hands. Therefore, before you consider self-publishing part time, then you might want to check out how much time you will have to invest AFTER and BEFORE you publish your book. 

  • Another thing you might want to think about is price. I would definitely consider this one carefully. It's a tricky thing to play with. On the one hand, you might think it would be wise to give your books for free to get some attention of the readers. On the other hand, you might want to put a price on your book to give your book the value it deserves. So to think this through, you might want to conduct some research on prices. This is a good way to start.


  • This is an excellent blog to look up the business side of publishing, especially if you are looking forward to maybe creating a publishing company. So this would be the place to check it out. Additionally, this blog is great for writing advice so I would def check this blog out.

Oh, and just to let you guys know what's going on: I've been jammed with homework for like two weeks (which is why I haven't been posting on Mondays). I'm really sorry about all of this but a lot of important future events are occurring in the next few weeks, so bear with me. I have to make sure I get everything straight for next semester and for my future career. 

Yes, it's that serious.

Therefore, I hope you will understand that if I don't post on Mondays that there's a very good reason for it, a.k.a. Larissa has a CRAP load of work to do. 

The good news is: I will probably put up reviews like crazy now that I don't have my amusement park job anymore (such great times!).

The bad news is: I still have a lot of catching up to do since my job has kinda forced me to use my time management skills to the ultimate test. So yeah.

Just stick with me and I know it'll be all right. I just have to get everything organized and use my time wisely. Thanks for understanding. 

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting post. Thanks for all of the great resources. :)

    Best of luck with all your schoolwork. The To Do list can get a bit overwhelming at times.

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jess! Thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment. :)

    No problem! As a writer, you should know all of your options including traditional publishing and self-publishing. There's nothing wrong with either choice.

    Absolutely! As a grad student, it just seems like the school work never stops! Luckily I have my weekends back so I can tackle homework and writing all in the same day! :) Happy recluse day, lol.

    ReplyDelete